Working a full time job, running my blog and handling a new creative business together means I work for long hours and often don't have time to relax. Working continuously without relaxing ain't good for the mind or the body.
And so, I have made relaxation a part of my work routine by including little activities that calm and refresh me throughout the day. These are some of the quick and effective ways I use to relax and you can too:
1. Take a 10-minute catnap: Yes! Go sleep but not for more than 20 minutes. Research says that a 10 minute nap during the day boosts our focus and productivity. However the trick here is timing, if you miss the 10 - 20 minute mark, you will enter the sleep inertia zone which will make you feel tired and groggy. So steal a short nap during the middle of the day and encourage your boss to take one too!
2. Soothing music: Music is food for the soul. Listen to some soothing music while you are at work to relax your mind. I love using apps on my phone to play some sweet sounds that refresh my mood. Sounds of nature - birds chirping, water flowing, wind blowing are so lovely to listen to and keep my mind calm. You could also create a playlist of some relaxing music on your phone or desktop - I love this youtube playlist as background music while I work.
3. Micro-meditation: From a very young age, I 've been into meditation and it has helped me a lot in keeping a calm mind and controlling stress. You don't have to spend a lot of time, you can meditate in short 5-minute periods throughout the day. For starters, I love the Headspace app for guided meditation. You have to try it, its awesome.
4. Take little window breaks: I often take 2-3 minute breaks for every 25-30 minutes of work. During these breaks, I love to look out of my window as it takes my mind off work and gets me involved with the outside world. Whether it is watching the clear blue skies or busy people on the road, these breaks help me return to work with a new perspective and a fresh mind.
5. Creative visualization: This is one of my favorite ways to relax. I just close my eyes and visualize a scene that makes me happy. Whether it is traveling, meeting your loved ones or success at work, just close your eyes and visualize it happening - it instantly drifts you into a state of happiness and relaxation.
6. Water plants: This one is very specific to me, but I love watering plants every afternoon. There is something very relaxing about plants and watching them grow, it puts happy thoughts in my head. If you don't have plants around, just take a short walk outside and look at some greenery.
7. Sip on some tea: Coffee is for kicks, but tea is relaxing. I love sipping on some hot lemon tea, it refreshes me instantly! Ginger, lemon, green - any tea, just choose one and sip on.
Life is really beautiful - stop, appreciate, relax and say thank you for it!
What are your favorite ways to relax?